As an ISBA Mutual member, you have our experienced risk management lawyers available to help you before problems turn into malpractice claims. When we say we have your back, we mean business!
What is a Claim?
A Claim is a demand for money or services from you for an actual or alleged negligent act, error, or omission. You may receive a Claim in the form of a letter or email, a lawsuit, an arbitration proceeding, or even a phone call. Was there a demand for money or services related to your professional services as a lawyer? If so, it is a Claim.
What if I know of something that is a Potential Claim?
A Claim may also be a circumstance in which you discover that an actual or alleged negligent act, error, or omission on your part might give rise to a demand against you for damages now or in the future.
When should I contact ISBA Mutual’s Claims Department?
Contact us at the first sign of trouble. Our experience suggests that many Claims can be avoided or mitigated by early reporting. The Claims Department can be reached at 312-379-2000 and at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although your telephone call is important, you must provide us with written notice of a Claim.
What do I need to include in my written notice of Claim or incident?
You can email, fax, or mail your completed Claim or Incident Report or provide the following information in writing
- The identity of the claimant(s) or anticipated claimant(s)
- The date(s) of the alleged act, error, or omission
- When you first became aware of the alleged act, error, or omission
- Name of the lawyer(s) involved
- The damages that have may be incurred as a result of the alleged act, error or omission
- A summary of the circumstance giving rise to the claim / incident
- If applicable, provide a copy of any demand, notice, tolling agreement, pleading or summons received
How do I report a Claim?
Complete our Notice of Potential Claim, Claim, Suit, ARDC or Subpoena Report, print it out and submit along with all written demands, notices, pleadings, and correspondence to email@example.com, fax to 312-379-2049, or mail to:
20 South Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60603-1826