When: February 21, 2023, lunch begins at 12:00 p.m., and presentations will take place from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Where: Naperville NIU Campus
What: 2023 ISBA Mutual Jerry Mirza Risk Management Conference.
This event is free of charge and available to all Illinois lawyers and their staff. Every lawyer who attends the entire free conference received 3.0 hours of approved general MCLE credit, which includes 2.0 hours of professionalism MCLE credit (pending approval) and 1.00 hour of mental health and substance abuse credit. Lunch will be provided. Lawyers insured by ISBA Mutual who attended the entire conference will receive a $100 premium credit will be applied to the firm’s next renewal policy.*
Stress in the Workplace: The Impact it has on Our Thinking, Dr. Diana Uchiyama, JD, PsyD, CAADC, Executive Director of the Illinois Lawyers' Assistance Program
This one-hour presentation is eligible for Mental Health/Substance Abuse MCLE Hours.
Emerging Issues in Lawyers' Professional Liability,
Garrett Kern, Chief Claims and Risk Management Officer, ISBA Mutual Insurance,
Adam Czerwinski, Owner and Principal Agent, Sidebar Insurance Solutions, Inc.
Every law practice is different, but as the #1 professional liability insurance carrier in Illinois, ISBA Mutual is in a unique position to identify the issues most likely to lead to claims or ARDC complaints against solo and small firms. In this presentation, Garrett Kern will discuss recent trends and strategies for avoiding and mitigating the risks that cause losses and dissatisfied clients.
What You Will Learn:
- What types of claims are most prevalent at this time, with descriptions of real-life claims
- Do's and Don'ts to help prevent the most common types of claims
- What to do in the aftermath of an error to minimize harm to clients and your firm
Avoiding Business Email Compromise and Wire Fraud, Mat Kresz, Attorney & Counselor at Law and former Chief Information Officer
Scams and hackers become more sophisticated every year. Business Email Compromise and Wire Fraud are among the most common cyber insurance claims today - for all areas of practice. Every lawyer needs to understand the duties, challenges, and appropriate methods for using technology. You will learn:
- What you can do to prevent business email compromise before it happens
- Signs that your firm is under attack and what you can do immediately to minimize harm
- Your ethical responsibilities following a business email compromise attack
- Best practices that everyone in your firm needs to follow to protect your clients from wire fraud
*Upon renewal of their ISBA Mutual policy (on or after June 1, 2023), their firm will receive a $100 premium credit for every lawyer who attended and completed the entire conference, subject to the following conditions.
- Each premium credit will be issued in the name of the participating lawyer and is not transferable. The premium credit may only be used by the lawyer to whom the credit was issued.
- The premium credit may only be redeemed once per lawyer, per policy renewal on policies with renewal dates after the conference date in which the lawyer attended.
- Lawyers can only use one policy credit per policy renewal, regardless of the number of events they attended. If a lawyer attends multiple ISBA Mutual events in the same policy period, the total credit applied will not exceed $100.
While non-lawyer staff is encouraged to attend this event, only lawyers are eligible to earn the $100 premium credit.
Not insured by ISBA Mutual? We are a mutual insurance company, owned by our policyholders. If you/your firm becomes insured by ISBA Mutual a Risk Management credit of $100 will be applied to your policy premium for your participation in 3 hours of our CLE courses.